Friday, September 16, 2011

What are you singing?

In an age of controversy about what Worship including music styles are acceptable in the church I have a simple question. What are you singing? Those on the conservative side many will say well it has to follow a certain pattern or be from a certain era. Those on the liberal side proclaim liberty, liberty, we sing whatever we want especially to bring in the crowds. Neither of those positions on the surface hold much water to me. I must preface that when it comes to music and generally my faith I am in the conservative camp, but before we have a shouting match, condemn something as heresy or start a religious war over worship it may be instructive to look at the history of song and worship in the church. I am doing such a thing in graduate school taking church music of which one of my courses is Hymnology. I would encourage anyone who is considering the issue of music in the church to do a study on the history of song throughout the church. It may surprise you on what you find.

1 comment:

  1. Very good point! How many of us sing the song listed for the service but never even pay attention to the words, let alone study the history and doctrines behind the songs!!!

    ReplyDelete