Friday, September 9, 2011

Colossians 1:1-3

    So you may wonder why the title of the this post  is  the first three verses of the New Testament Epistle to the Colossians written by the Apostle Paul. The answer is twofold, first where I am attending graduate school our theme for the school year is "New Creature Living" taken from Colossians in the third chapter. Secondly, our chapel speaker yesterday Dr. Jim Berg spoke about meditation and scripture memory. Dr. Berg, spoke on using the MAP method of meditation and scripture memory (to find out more see his website or contact him through Bob Jones University). Out of this message I was challenged that my scripture memory is severely lacking and I have decided to memorize the book of Colossians. So to begin I am working on the first three verses.
     Colossians 1:1-3
       1 "Paul an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God and Timothy our brother"
       2 "To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae:"
       3 "Grace to you and peace from God our Father."

    So you may be wondering what is basically the salutation line of an ancient letter of teaching (an epistle) have that is profitable? Doesn't Paul tell us in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 that all scripture is profitable but how can an introduction be profitable? Well today for me verse one was especially close to my heart. Today is much like last Friday in that I had a bad attitude about going to school and was annoyed at myself for not getting enough done and that I always feel like I have to much to do. I was feeling really glum for myself then I went to my first class which we call Friday Preacher Boy's. Today Dr. Bob Jones III spoke to us from Ezekiel and one small thing (not even his main point) that Dr. Bob said struck at me, that if Ezekiel had not been sure of his calling that he would not have ministered to Israel as he did. We are in a day much like Ezekiel with a nation that is sinful and stubborn, who do not want to hear the Word of God. This point of assured calling and my poor attitude made me cry out to God in silent prayer asking for confirmation of my calling. Then I remembered the words of Colossians 1:1 "Paul and apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God..."

   Yes I may be feeling sorry for myself and have a bad attitude and I should not, because as overwhelming and oppressive feeling the responsibilities now are, I have assurance that I am not called to the task now or future tasks by my own will but by the will of God. I can remember the day in which I was called by God to be a proclaimer of His word (no I did not have a vision), I can remember the evening of brokenness at camp where I   re-submitted myself to God's call, and I recall the multiple times God has reaffirmed His call through times of ministry and the joy brought by being in the will of God. Now I take comfort in a sure call by God knowing that it is His Will that I am here today studying, and He is with me as He promised and I can say with Paul "I can do all things through Christ Jesus".

May Jesus Christ be Praised


[Scripture from the  ESV]


2 comments:

  1. We're praying for you! Last night, the ladies at church prayed for the two of you also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you lots my dearest husband, and you do an amazing job with all your responsibilities. You take such good care of me, and I am proud of all that you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete