Friday, November 4, 2011

Why

Does life seem empty at times and you wonder what you are doing or why you are where you are. Are you lacking purpose? Maybe it is because you have moved away from the one who gives all life meaning and purpose. No, I am not just talking to those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior for as much as their life may lack purpose and meaning, we who have accepted the we are sinners and that we have no way to pay for the sins we have committed and trust wholly on the sacrifice Christ offered for us, we still have times in life where we wonder what we are doing or why are we where we are.
    I will admit that I was feeling and thinking this way even this morning. I was wondering why I was subjecting myself to the rigors of school and working and why I was here? But, then I asked myself why am I wondering about the purpose and meaning of my life. Then through a singspiration  in a class today I realized through the words of the hymns that we sang, I was the reason I was questioning and felt a lack of purpose. You see I had taken God's purpose for my life and walked off trying to do it on my own. In doing so I left the empowering and gracious surety of provision that God provides when we are doing His will. It is there that I found myself today seeing life hollow and without purpose or meaning.
   Now there is someone out there that is going yeah I had the same situation whether they really would admit it or not they know that they fell a lack of purpose and meaning in their life even though they are on the outside "doing the right thing." And they like I have walked out of the presence of God to try and do life on our own. So how do regain purpose and meaning, how do we face without drudgery the rigors of our calling? The answer for both you and I is return. Return, to God, in our pride we have said "I can do this on my own" but reality is we have no power or ability to accomplish the will of God in our lives. When we walk away to do in our own strength we quickly face reality that we have no power, endurance or desire to do what God wants us to do. At this point we can face a pivitol decision and go one of three ways. We, can just drudge on and postpone to a later time, we could just become fed up and quit whatever it is we are doing to make life easier for ourselves, or we could return to God who gives us power, endurance, purpose, joy, peace, and meaning to all that we do. If we quit yes we may alive the temporal discomfort but the hollowness and lack of purpose and meaning remains. But if we return to God we can return to joy and accomplish goals and tasks with purpose and meaning. I had to spend some time this morning and just read Scripture and pray, returning to God and away from self reliance. What will you do? Will you quit or return? As you make that decision think about this statement that I once saw on a sign: "If you feel away from God who does not change, who moved?"

No comments:

Post a Comment